The immediate goals and objectives of the Sungai Penchala River Education Programme are based on three main target groups:-
TARGET 1: Local Communities
- To develop and initiate a river education and monitoring programme.
- To provide communities hands-on education and opportunities that will encourage greater awareness, understanding and stewardship of their local river.
- To engage community members in monitoring programs to interest them in rivers as a community asset.
- To promote and support selected local communities on their river care, water and waste management initiatives
TARGET 2: Business Communities
- To educate local business – selected food court operators on Best Management Practices (BMP).
- To share W.A.T.E.R project experience with business community or commercial partners for a better understanding of the current river and water issues.
- To support selected foot operators in food court to initiate their own activities like waste reduction, water conservation, and recycling and/or waste cooking oil collection.
- To provide BMP for selected food court operators on waste management issues and point source pollution reduction.
TARGET 3: Education Institutions
- To educate selected Education Institutions/Associations as Kindergarten, National Schools, Private and International Schools, Higher Education Institutes within the Sg. Penchala Basin on river care initiative.
- To increase awareness in water and river management.
- To provide knowledge and skills on water, river and solid waste auditing/management as well as on general environmental management
- To promote and support practical and localized resource management activities for selected schools
TARGET 4: Youth
The youth community is the new target group of Penchala River Education Programme in 2016, with the aim to train youths to become teachers and educators that can apply environmental elements into their activities and programmes.