Biodiversity Study : Flora of Sungai Way
The Hidden Beauty of Sungai Way
A trip was made on the 5th of March 2008 just to study the floral biodiversity that surrounds Sungai Way.
The study was divided into the areas that surround the river, which are as follows :
- The housing area that forms headwater catchment for Sungai Way
- Section between GAB and the Petronas station
- Section behind Esso/Petronas station and residential flats of Desa Mentari
- Residential area of Desa Mentari
- Section between double-storey housing area and Pantai Expressway
In each of these areas, two types of vegetation were observed, riverine and aquatic. Some of the areas did not have visible aquatic vegetation. However, riverine vegetation was found in abundance. Among the types of flora found in Sungai Way include :
||Asam Jawa (pic on right)
There are an abundance of other species in Sungai Way as well. Thirty-two species of plants have been identified thus far. Most of these plants are considered to be common garden plants and some riverine vegetation. There were few aquatic species found in or along the river, indicating that the water quality or health of the river (habitat provision) may not be adequate enough to sustain aquatic plants.
Click here to download the full report.